Sunday, September 9, 2012

Contrast, Balance and Harmony

I think all forms of nature are beautiful which is why I couldn't help take this photo of springtime blooming flowers. 
I also think this photo fits with the assignment of finding harmony, balance and contrast.
This photo has two kinds of balance. The first is symmetrical balance with the use of a big flower in the top right corner and a big flower in the lower left corner. The second is radial balance from the center of the flower expanding out.
The photo also has contrast with the three different sizes and shapes of the flowers, the texture that can be seen on the stem and flower petals, but most of all the contrast comes from the colors. Green and purple are both secondary colors and with the hue of the green in the background it makes the purple pop. Also the use of the yellow in the small flower really contrasts with the purple as they are complementary colors.
However I think the contrasts and the balance work well in this photo. My eye starts at the bottom of the photo in the middle of first flower because its surrounded by the white petals. From there, my eye travels up to the yellow color on the small flower and then up to the yellow on the larger flower. I then see the fuzz on the stem and travel back to the flower on the bottom. To me its like a never ending circle when I look at this picture.

1 comment: